Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Why I'm Here

This class appeals to me because magazines are a prime source of information. Growing up, I would look around and see people everywhere reading magazines, enamored by their fascination. Eventually I began reading magazines and thought that I could one day write stories that would capture the attention of the masses.

In this class, I hope to learn the fundamentals of magazine writing and how to harness the energy that stems from my desire to write for magazines. The fact that Professor Fitzgerald wants us to sell a piece to a magazine by the end of the semester is great encouragement. It excites me to think that before long I will be writing proposals to magazines to publish something I will have written. I'm starting this class with hopes of writing for magazine articles and by the end my goal is to have written at least one.

Writing as a profession interests me because I enjoy putting thoughts and observations on paper. When people read my work in the past and gave me feedback I felt fulfilled.

Magazines are different from other media publications because they usually specialize in specifics topics. It always seemed like it would be fun to have a fast-paced, exciting job as a magazine writer. The job itself is rewarding and glamorous. It also permits the writers to learn a lot as they have to research every topic they choose to write about.

Seeing sports journalists at professional events in scattered groups, discussing the hottest stories makes me envious. Knowing magazine writers can sit down with significant people and converse with them in a professional matter makes me think the journalists them selves are part of the celebrity world.

It is obvious that a writer cannot jump into magazine writing with ease. This class is my first look into the mechanics of magazine writing and how journalists go about their jobs.

2 comments:

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

Nice blog... Well thought out, and well said.

ncs said...

i agree with you on the part about journalists being part of the celebrity world also. you have special privilages and access to people the public doesn't, and that's pretty cool.