Sunday, February 25, 2007

So much to choose from...

While I have few magazines I read regularly, I do read many. Working at a cafe in Borders book store leaves what I would guess is a couple hundred magazines for free. When I want to hide in back from annoying customers so I don't knock them out I usually grab a Men's Health, Men's Journal, Boxing Digest, or something of that nature.

Sometimes after cleaning up dishes or gathering stacks of books left by those oh-so-loved customers, curiousity gets the best of me and I may start to read the National Geographic or Popular Science magazine left behind. By reading random magazines I've learned a lot of random facts. Sometimes it's nice to wing it and just read the first magazine I find with good advertising on the cover. And whenme and my friends/co-workers are feeling saucy or immature we look through a Maxim or Stuff trying to find an article to share with one another in hopes of laughter at a place where it's in dire need.

My taste in magazines may be typical for someone like me but I like to think that I never pass up something interesting. Some literary snobs like to think their strict, tunnel-vision taste in magazines means something special but I have no problem being a magazine whore. Considering I almost never read for leisure, it's very constructive for me. Who can resist those dog magazines for people with show dogs when there are puppies on the cover?

I have to admit that I've never picked up a quilting or interior design for any reason other than cleaning up but I've read almost every other kind from Vibe, to Discover, to Horse Illustrated, to Low Rider. Some of them are stupid to me but one can't be egocentric bytotally ignoring what disinterests him right?

One example: Today I tried to read the Economist but it was too boring this time around so I started reading ESPN The Magazine. Of course, the cover advertised the article about the homosexual basketball player on page 60-something. It was very controversial, edgy, and full of quotes and excerpts from John Amaechi's book, Man in the Middle. I learned how his coach on the Utah Jazz, Jerry Sloan, used brutal language towards him.

Not everyone is around such a large selection of magazines as much so I feel priveleged even if it means I may neglect my job to read things that may not always be significant. My job sucks anyway and is very boring. Reading magazines helps keep me from beating up customers and improve my general knowledge.

No comments: